Statement from Tom Dyas on Extreme Heat
July 26, 2022
KELOWNA — Due to the continued inaction by the leadership at the City of Kelowna, Mayoral Candidate Tom Dyas has put out the following statement:
“15 people in Kelowna died last year as a result of the heat dome, we need decisive action to keep people safe this week and we’ve seen nothing. While decision-makers debate over jurisdictional responsibility, Kelowna’s residents continue to be put at risk due to extreme heat.
The City of Kamloops and the City of Penticton have proactively communicated and activated their municipally-run cooling centres, and yet we’ve seen radio silence from Kelowna’s leadership.
The City of Kelowna says they need Interior Health’s permission and Interior Health says it’s the City of Kelowna’s responsibility. Residents don’t care whose responsibility it is, they want action – and right now there’s an abject failure in leadership and action. The City’s number one responsibility is the safety of their residents, and right now that’s not happening.”